What you need to know
- LOCATION: In the vast Selous Game Reserve of southern Tanzania.
- HOW TO GET THERE: There are numerous daily flights to our airstrip (Kiba) from Dar es Salaam, Ruaha, Zanzibar and northern Tanzania.
- SETTING: Right on the banks of the Rufiji River, with the lodge following the escarpment up and around a lazy bend.
- THE ROOMS: All are open-fronted cottages made of stone and thatch and raised on platforms. There are 5 Riverside rooms and 3 Hillside Suites. All rooms have bathrooms en-suite with hot and cold running water, flush toilets and powerful showers.
- HIGHLIGHTS: The sights and sounds of the river and the great variety of adventures to be had along its banks and the surrounding woodlands and open sand rivers. Sleeping in open-fronted rooms and being close to nature while enjoying all the comforts of a conventional lodge, and being completely safe. Fabulous sightings of the river's residents and great birding as well as lots of big mammals; visits to Stieglers Gorge, Kidai Island, Hot Springs and Lake Tagalala.
- ACTIVITIES: Game drives in open 4WD vehicles, fly camping, walking safaris, boating, fishing.
Please note that fly camping needs to be booked in advance and there is an extra supplement.
- CHILD POLICY: We are delighted to welcome children of 8 and over at Sand Rivers Selous, but can only offer fly camping and walking activities to children of 12 and over.
- OPEN: Year round except for mid March to early June.